Saturday, July 20, 2013

It's always been about You.

Eleven ten p.m.  Not usually the most appealing time for a momma of four to be writing a new post, but hey, when inspiration hits you go with it!  Actually, it hit earlier but I had to finish the laundry, make dinner, clean up the mess, get the kiddos ready for bed...you know the drill.  Anyway, I wanted to share with you a sweet moment from my day that got my brain a thinkin', and hopefully your's too.

Today was one of my crazy cleaning days, and by crazy cleaning days I mean like pulling books out of bookshelves just to dust behind them.  (Yes, I know it's really silly of me, but it only happens a couple times a year...I promise.)  On my to-do list was to start weeding through old books that I had collected from my grandma's apartment when she went to the nursing home.  I have had several of her Bibles for years now, and I really felt like it was time to donate them since we already have several of our own versions.  I carefully paged through them just to be certain that I didn't miss anything that she might have had tucked away inside.  Some of them were completely empty, and some of them were full of little keepsakes.  It really amazed me what I found because, honestly, I thought I had already done this once before.  There were sweet little bookmarks, pictures, and even personal notes.  The notes were what touched my heart the most.  They really answered several questions that I had about my own faith journey.

For those of you that didn't know my grandma, let me tell you a little bit about her.  First, she was the sweetest woman I ever knew.  (I know everyone says that about their grandma, but really, she was.)  She always called me Joy Marie.  Most of the time when people address you with your first and middle name, it means you're in trouble!  Not with her.  When she used your full name it was like getting extra love...if that even makes any sense.  She loved me unconditionally.  Even if I messed up really really bad (and I did from time to time) she still hugged me with a great big bear hug and gave me a kiss.  Sometimes I can still feel her lips on my cheek.  My grandma had so much wisdom, but she was never pushy with it.  She knew God, but never never never tried to force her beliefs upon me.  She just always spoke the Truth so I really wanted to share her beliefs.  She was well equipped when it came to Bible knowledge.  She was always ready to answer my questions.  I find it funny that even today, three plus years after her passing, she's still helping to answer my questions.

Do you ever wonder what kind of "church" experience your grandparent's might have had growing up?  Well, I always do.  I wonder things like what hymns they sang, what prayers they offered up, did they just read the Bible, or did they apply it's teachings to what they were dealing with in their lives, was their church experience really different from that which we are experiencing now?  Today my eyes were opened to that past experience.  One of the Bibles that I found was dated 1949, another 1967.

I always wonder what my grandma would think if she were to come to church with me one Sunday.  Would the drums and the electric guitar distract her from worship, or would it help her to fully engage?  Would the hands being raised in worship and the tears streaming down faces be way over the top, or would it be a sign of offering to her?  Would the lack of "tradition" such as memorized prayers or weekly communion or a cross hung in the sanctuary, or the prelude or benediction, or advent wreath or Lenten services be a sign that the traditional church has crumbled away?

Today I found a little piece of paper that was very old and frail, and it read, "Religion is anything mechanical."  I wish there was a date on this paper, but there wasn't.  What a powerful little statement.  Anything mechanical, memorized, done repeatedly without even thinking, that's religion.  Then I found another piece of paper that read, "If a church's main focus isn't the cross then it's just a social gathering."  Believe it or not, I found paper after paper after paper with simple little sentences telling truth after truth after truth.  It almost took my breath away to read all of these.  I even found a note that my grandma had written to herself with tips for witnessing.  One of the lines said to be well equipped, meaning to have studied and memorized scripture.  Her Bibles were falling apart, written on, highlighted, underlined.  There were even napkins tucked away with notes on them.  Now that's how you study!

I feel like all of these findings gave me a concrete answer to my questions.  The modern church may look and sound different.  The people may even be dressed different, but Jesus doesn't care.  He loves us in 2013 just the same way He loved us in 1949 and 1967.  The Bible never changed.  God never changed.  The way to everlasting life never changed, and as long as the church is pointing to the cross as the answer (even if the cross isn't in the sanctuary), Jesus is there.  Plain. And. Simple.  Hey, for all I know my Grandma might be rocking out with us on the weekends, in her new body, in her permanent home, with her Lord and Savior!

One more thing I found tucked away...lyrics to Have Thine Own Way Lord (written in 1902)

Have Thine own way, Lord!  Have Thine own way!
Thou are the Potter, I am the clay.
Mold me and make me after Thy will.
While I am waiting, yielded and still.

And then my mind went straight to Fee's Glory To God Forever (written in 2009)

Take my life and let it be
All for You and for Your glory
Take my life and let it be Yours
Take my life and let it be
All for You and for Your glory
Take my life and let it be Yours

Written 107 years apart, but still asking God to do His will in our lives.  Pretty great, huh?  Wishing you all the most blessed Sunday whether you choose traditional worship or contemporary.  It's all about Jesus anyway...always has been.





No comments:

Post a Comment